see the SP GP9 Overview for Magazine/Book References and available models.
see also: Nelson Kennedy's kitbash of a HO Scale passenger GP9
- Prototype Modeler February 1979 pages 6 - 10 - History of SP commute service GP9's
- Prototype Modeler February 1979 pages 11 - 23 - Modeling SP commute service GP9's
- Model Railroader Oct. 1983, page 156 - MR Clinic on SP Passenger Geeps.
Modeling choices at the moment are:
- For N Scale:
- Arnold once made a GP7/9
- Atlas have released a GP9 in Black Widow paint.
- Atlas have released a Passenger GP9 aka "Torpedo Boat"
- LifeLike made a GP18 that could be backdated,
- and will likely make an N Scale GP9
- For HO Scale:
- Athearn unit has a GP7 and a 'fatso', ( but if your not fussy, it's a proven unit), that could be modified.
- Front Range GP9's are still available from various suppliers. Trains Unlimited with Athearn compatible chassis, and Proto-Power West are two that I know of.
- E & C Shops have released their Phase II and III GP9's - see January Model Railroader page 170.
- A LifeLike GP18 can be backdated to a GP9 - parts from Detail Assoc. and Train Station Products are available.
- LifeLike has released a Southern Pacific GP9 in in Blood Nose paint,
and now announced a Cotton Belt unit in Black Widow.
- Atlas has released their GP7, it could be reworked to a GP9.
- For S Scale:
- American Flyer
- American Models perhaps a GP9
- For O Scale:
- Red Caboose made a GP9, and available in Black Widow.
- Lionel in 1996 and 1998 made a GP9 in Black Widow paint.
Lionel information kindly supplied by Britt Johnson
Additional N Scale Model Info supplied by John Barnhill