56 delivered to SSW
no SSW GP40-2 was painted in the Kodachrome scheme
If your into nitpicky type details, I have a breakdown of the GP40 family and their relevant features. Click here if your brave.
At the moment I'll keep all the GP40-2's together, but as/if more info comes to hand, I may well split them up into number series.
As these units came in five orders, over 6 years, details vary enormously. Again, for accuracy grab as many photo's as you can, prior to starting work.
From Tom.C.Jones comes this information on the lighting packages fitted to the various orders of the GP40-2's:
- SP 7240-7247 originally came with Oscitrol Headlights front and rear. These lights simulate the "Mars" lights. One light pointed left and the other right and flash on and off.
- SSW 7248-7273 also had Oscitrol Headlights.
- SP 7608-7627 and 7658-7677 all had L shaped windshield originally.
- SSW 7628-7657 also had L shaped windshield.
- As built 3197-3199 had L shaped windshield. 3197 was one of three Bicentenial units for SP.
- SSW 7248-7273 were first Cotton Belt Units to have SSW stenciled on nose along with SSW and engine number stenciled on anticlimber.
- Other SSW units just had SSW and engine number on anticlimber. And just the engine number on the nose.
- SP 1987/88 Motive Power Pictorial by Joe.W.Shine, Pages 100 - 101. Photo's.
- SP.....into the '90's by Joe.W.Shine, Pages 174 - 177. Has more photo's of these units.
- SP 1995 Motive Power Annual by Bill Shippen - Four Ways West Publications.
- Southern Pacific Rails - a motive power finale by Peter Limas has a number of images and data concerning SP/SSW GP40-2's.
- SP in Transition by Bill Shippen and Joe Shine - Four Ways West Publications.