PA1 / PB1 - PA2 / PB2
HO Scale Athearn PA1 converted and superdetailed to duplicate SP PA2 #6019, by Bob Dengler. This model was built in the late 1970's, predating Bob Zenk's efforts in Mainline Modeler by several months.
Prototypically PA's were painted in 2 main color schemes with 1 variation and 1 experimental. SP's, SSW's and TNO's PA's were all delivered in Daylight paint with SSW's only having a silver roof instead of black. 2 SP PA's and 1 PB were repainted Halloween for about 1 year and all extant PA's after 1958 were repainted Scarlet and Gray (Blood Nose). No PA's ever appeared in Black Widow.
(Above) LifeLike N Scale PA2 painted in the first Halloween scheme from James of Sydney, Australia.
(Above) LifeLike N Scale PA and PB painted in the short-lived Halloween scheme from James of Sydney, Australia.
(Above) LifeLike N Scale PA - As part of the experimental Halloween schemes, 6034 was painted black and red in the same pattern as the final gray and red scheme from James of Sydney, Australia.
- N Scale:
- Kato – SP Daylight PA or PA/PB Sets all powered.
- Con-Cor SP Daylight and SP Black Widow – PA PB in Powered, Dummy. Lit Dummy, & Sound
- HO Scale:
- LifeLike SP Blood Nose PA1 and PB1
- LifeLike undec PA1 and PB1
- Model Railroading September 1999 pages 55-59 - Alco PA #8 - photos and history of SP's PA's
- Mainline Modeler Jan/Feb 1980 page 15 - Kitbashing and Detailing SP ALCo PA's in Bloody Nose paint by Robert.J.Zenk
- Mainline Modeler Mar/Apr 1980 page 16 - Kitbashing and Detailing SP ALCo PA's in Daylight paint by Robert.J.Zenk
- Rail Model Journal Apr. 1997 - Upgrading ConCor's N Scale ALCo PA1
- Model Railroader Sep. 1993 - Modeling SP PA's - detailing the Athearn kit.
- Mainline Modeler Feb. 1983 - SP PA Plans, SP Roster.
- Mainline Modeler Dec. 1986 - PA/PB Plans, Part #1
- Mainline Modeler Jan. 1987 - PA/PB Plans, Part #2, plus Rosters.
- Mainline Modeler Nov. 1986 - SP PA #6007, Proto photo.
- Model Railroading Jan. 1988 - N Scale Con-Cor PA improvement.
- Mainline Modeler Mar. 1987 - PA3 Plans, plus Rosters.
- Diesel Locomotive Cyc #2 Page 82 - PA and PB Plans, Proto photo of SP PA-3 #6025, in Blood Nose, with major mods.
Additional S Scale info courtesy James Baglien and Phil Agur.